Two Questions

1418 1418_ () 1418 1418 We can call this one You’re So Money Monday! even though I have two extremely specific questions this week.

1. Do you have a delicious recipe for pistachio cake? Someone has a birthday this week, and this is what he requests. Of course I’ve found a gajillion recipes online, but I’d like to speak with a professional.

2. Have you ever done a sprint triathlon? If so, what is your suggestion for practical attire?

Thanks! 1418″>

Comments

1. 1. I’ve never heard of it! Is it green?

2. I’ve never heard of that either!

Anxious to read what the professionals have to say on both accounts; I’m feeling very naive right now.

2. Kristen Laurence says:

Ooohh, neat! I have a recipe for an incredible pistachio cake with white chocolate frosting we make for Christmas every year. Mmmm…yummy! Shall I email it to you?

3. 1. Nope. But I agree, I’m looking forward to hearing about it…

2. Nope. But I would wear my sweats…oh wait..I always wear my sweats…

I truly enjoy your blog

4. Kristin, that’d be great! Thanks.

Rach,
    Check out speedo.com – female, triathlon. There I’d go for the FS11 tank top and FS11 padded short. TYR.com – womens, multisport – has some cute and more reasonably priced options.

Either way separates are a must for those last minute jitter “gotta go” moments.

Good luck!

ABA

PS – sorry i don’t know how to hyperlink in comments

For a Sprint tri you can stay pretty basic. I biked and ran in my Speedo with running shorts on top. For longer distances you may want to invest in attire designated for the swim, bike, and run.(the padded shorts help tremendously for long rides).
    Good Luck!

7. Happy Appy Wife says:

HI Rach – for #1 – two responses

If it’s green cake you want, this is an easy-peasy recipe from a 1948 women’s magazine:

PISTACHIO CAKE

1 White cake mix
    1 package pistachio instant pudding
    4 eggs
    3/4 cup vegetable oil
    3/4 cup plus 1 Tablespoon water
    1/2 cup nuts, chopped

Mix 1 white cake mix, 1 package pistachio instant pudding, 4 eggs, 3/4 cup vegetable oil, and 3/4 cup plus 1 Tablespoon water. Grease lightly a 13 x 9 x 2 inch square cake pan or a round one of comparable size. Pour in the batter and then sprinkle 1/2 cup chopped nuts over the top. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until done.

While the cake is baking, mix the following ingredients:

2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
    2 cups powdered sugar
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    1-3 cup water

When the cake is baked, take a fork and prick holes at intervals in the cake. Dribble the above mixture over the cake and bake for an additional five minutes. Cool and then serve

If it’s true pistachio cake you’re craving:

Pistachio Cake
    Recipes from the London River Cafe

2 1/4 sticks Unsalted butter
    1 Lemon
    1 Vanilla bean
    2/3 cup Blanched almonds
    3/4 cup Pistachios
    1 1/4 cups Superfine sugar
    4 Eggs, organic
    1/2 cup All-purpose flour

Topping
    1 Lemon
    1/2 cup Pistachios
    1/4 cup Superfine sugar

Heat the oven to 300 degrees.

Grease a 12 x 4 1/2 x 2 3/4-inch loaf pan with 4 tsp of the butter and line with baking parchment.

Soften the remaining butter. Finely grate the lemon peel. Split the vanilla bean and scrape out the seeds. Finely grind the almonds and pistachios together.

Beat the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Add the lemon peel and vanilla seeds, then fold in the nuts and sift in the flour.

Spoon the batter into the pan and bake for 45-60 minutes. The cake is ready when a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool in the pan, then turn out.

For the topping, grate the lemon peel and squeeze the juice. Halve the pistachios. Mix the lemon juice with the sugar, boil until reduced to a syrup, then add the peel. Stir in the pistachios and pour over the cake.

8. MyHusbandRules says:

For the sprint tri, I’ve only done one, but I wore my one piece swimsuit, and pulled on a front zip sports bra (so I could fascinate it discreetly under my swimsuit) and bike shorts after the swim. It worked amazingly well for me. Practice though,I had this vision of spending 10 minutes trying to zip the sports bra…. 🙂 Thank heavens that didn’t happen!

9. I have not participated in a triathlon, but I have participated in many a sweaty race. I highly recommend anything that will minimize chafing. Since you’ll be transitioning from water to sweat and more sweat, that is KEY. It’s the sprint distance, so chafing may not be a huge deal, but just in case, here’s a great product: http://www.bodyglide.com/

10. Heather Raven says:

hey rach,
    can I have that recipe that Kristen Laurence sent to you? I would like to try it as well.

Hope you are doing well.
    Heather

11. It’s a bit late, but I made a pistachio ice cream cake for my husband’s birthday this week. It’s easy, and great for boys to help with!
    40 (or so) crushed Ritz (or other) crackers; mix with 1/3 cup melted butter. Press into a 9 by 13 and bake at 350 for 15min. Let it cool. Use a mixer for 1 and 1/2 cups milk and 2 packages of instant pistachio pudding. Beat 2 minutes. Then stir in 1 quart of vanilla ice cream. Pour this into a cooled crust. Top with a container of cool whip (I whipped a cup of cream). Sprinkle crushed heath candy bar on top (2 or 3). Put back in freezer, but take out a few minutes before serving. Yum!