Finish Line

1694 1694_ () 1694 1694 We did it! We got to the doctor today and after a two hour wait, with me feeling totally nervous the entire time (why?), the doctor walked in and said “Looks good. Cast is coming off.” And then I started to cry.

Thanks for all the encouragement and support. What a journey. When I gathered Henry into my arms, after the cast had been sawed off, I remembered how good it feels to hold a little 23-month-old guy. It all came flooding back to me: non-Spica living. And right now I feel an overwhelming sense of gratitude and peace, joy and of course relief. A lot of relief.

Pictures from today (that I was posting to Twitter in Real Time):

I love this first one. I sent this to Twitter and a few minutes later, I get a text from my sister saying “fix Henry’s shoe. It’s about to come off.” Love it!

This next one is odd to see, because it’s been my view, when looking down while holding Henry, for the last seven weeks. The boys had wanted us to save the bar (for reasons not entirely clear to me) but when I saw this all in the trash I thought, yes, this is where it should be.

And here is the money shot — this sums up our feelings, me and Paul and everyone else in our life who loves us and has walked through this journey with us — and that includes YOU. Thank you!

1694″

Comments

1. Yeah to you, Paul, the boys, and especially Henry! What a wonderful day it is! I remember crying too on cast cut off day; it's just a sense of relief and thankfulness! Let us know via pictures when he's got his sea legs under him (we were a bit wobbly at first). Congratulations!

2. Mental Momma says:

Hugs and kisses to you guys! Get a good sleep and get ready for the climbing/running/jumping destructo boy stuff to resume.

3. Yay! How wonderful! That last picture totally made me cry. Congratulations to little Henry…and to the rest of you too!

4. Congratulations! I'm so happy/relieved for you 🙂 At long last this ordeal is over! Hope he's able to get his walking wits about him again soon!

5. well, I'm just a lurker here on your blog and that last picture just made me cry!
    happy days to little Henry and his family!

6. Michelle says:

wooooooooooo hooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!! The LOVE pours through the screen. What a happy day for all of you – :0)
    PS – my confirmation word before I could post my comment had the word "leg" in it. LOL

7. What relief in that last shot!! I'm so glad this episode didn't last another day/hour.

8. annemcd says:

Yea!!! Now, good luck keeping up with him! 🙂

9. Barbara B. says:

Congratulations!

10. This Heavenly Life says:

Oh, I am so relieved for you all!

Now watch out – you've got a two year old on your hands with some pent up energy to spend! How wonderful that he now has the opportunity.

11. What a happy day!!! Way to go Henry!

Give Lord Hen a big squeeze from his Aunt Anna. We love you all!!

ABA

13. Congratulations! Enjoy the very active little boy who will be back on the go very soon! Prayers go with you –

Julie

14. Lauri in VA says:

Yea!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy for Henry! He'll be running with the big boys soon!

15. phxychk says:

What a journey! And now it is over and you can return to normal – whatever that means! 🙂 So happy for you guys!

16. Michele says:

Yeah! How exciting for all of you. I love the last picture. They both look so relaxed and relieved! Love it! Did Henry know what to do?

17. Yeah!!!! I'm so happy for all of you especially little Henry!

18. Woo hoo!

19. Leilani says:

hooray!!!!!

20. You have been through a trying time, and we've read all the updates with empathy and prayer. We are truly happy for this day! Wow – it even seems like a tiny glimpse of what awaits in eternity for us parents of chronically ill or disabled kids. We celebrate with you, yet await our day… Please remember us.

21. Franchelle says:

Darn it, Rachel! In Spica and in health, you've managed to make me cry! I'm so happy for you and your family–and you're so right about that first hug after your baby is cast-free. . .priceless!

22. Chelsea Rae Pietsch says:

Praise God!

23. Monica S says:

HURRAY!!!! I'm just tickled pink that it's finally over for all of you. I saw the pics on twitter and was so excitied for you and Henry. Hold on to your hat though cause I bet he's going to make up for lost time. LOL

nothing is as sweet as those hugs of pure love and contentment. Congratulations on making it through such a difficult journey with such grace.

25. Rebecca says:

I left "congrats" on Twitter, but I'll leave them here, too.

And HOORAY!