Princess Bride Quote-a-thon

Augie came home from school and announced that he had watched Princess Bride today in class.

To which I immediately replied, “Maww-widge. Maww-widge is what bwings us togevah today.”

There are about a billion awesome lines from The Princess Bride.

Other personal favorites include:

“Ah-low. My name is Innego Montoya. You keeled my fathah. Prepare to die.”

and

“Incontheevable.”

and

“Aaaaasss Yooouuu Wiiissshhh.”

To name only a few. What’s your favorite?

UPDATED TO ADD: Thanks to reader Trish for sharing this link!

Comments

1. Darren A. Jones says:

“I do not think that word means what you think it means.” Always helpful in debates 🙂

2. I adore the quotes from this movie. One of my favorites is from Vizzini:

“You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders – The most famous of which is “never get involved in a land war in Asia” – but only slightly less well-known is this: “Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line”!”

and then he falls over dead.

3. “In my day, television was called books.”. I use that one on my kids almost daily.

4. I second Darren’s quote!

And I’ll add “Have fun storming the castle!” BTW, my mother and stepfather saw Billy Crystal when they were at a restaurant about a month ago. They like to tell that story, so I thought I’d pass it on.

Thanks for bringing this up. I needed a suggestion for Friday’s movie night!

5. Stop rhyming and I mean it! Anyone wanna peanut?
    Also, “to the pain!”
    And pretty much every other line

6. I am not left handed!

7. I’m not a witch, I’m your wife!

8. “You seem a decent fellow, I hate to kill you.”

“I can’t afford to make exceptions. I mean once word leaks out that a pirate has gone soft, people begin to disobey you and it’s nothing but work, work, work all the time.”

9. No quote. Just the entire concept of “Rodents of Unusual Size.” That kills me every time.

10. “Whoo-hoo-hoo, look who knows so much. It just so happens that your friend here is only MOSTLY dead. There’s a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive.”

11. You’ve violated the second law of warfare, the first one being never fight a ground war in Asia..

Always told this to my history students. Applications abound.

12. “drop.
    your.
    sword.”

que handsome man saving damsel in distress.

13. Cecilia says:

“No more rhyming, I mean it!’
    “Anybody want a peanut?”

14. jen ambrose says:

“I shall be very put out” I say this about once or twice a week
    And who can forget “As…..you…..wish…..”

15. “Death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for awhile.”

“And YOU: friendless, brainless, helpless, hopeless! Do you want me to send you back to where you were? Unemployed, in Greenland? “

16. I already posted on FB, but with all boys around here (who all LOVE Princess Bride!), ours is “goodbye, boys! Have fun storming the castle!” (me) to which they respond…. “Do ya think it’ll work? It’ll take a miracle!”

17. Or…. You were not hired for your brains, you hippopotomic land mass!”

18. Potamiaena says:

“Cancel Christmas!”

19. Amy Spencer says:

Wuv, twue wuv. + just about every other phrase in the movie, one of my favorite movies of all time. 🙂

20. scotch meg says:

“Princess Bride” is the second-most quoted movie in my house. The first is “The Court Jester.” When do your boys get to watch that one? (Third is “The Incredibles.”)

21. My dad would often send my sister and I off to bed with, “Good night, sleep well. Most likely kill you in the morning.” 🙂

22. I LOVE THAT MOVIE!!!!!! (Yes, this movie does deserve ALL CAPS!)

Everyone has used the best ones, but I agree with them all.

Another great one, if you like musicals (and we do) is Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. I’ll sing the songs from that one for a week after we watch it.

23. “Nothing comes to mind.”

24. “Bye-Bye boys! Have fun storming the castle!”

25. Thanks for a fun dinner conversation! We talked about this last night over barbeque chicken and mashed potatoes. What a nice dinner.

I think most of my favorites have been mentioned except: I love when Inigo is having that last duel with the 6 fingered man and the 6 fingered man is offering Inigo whatever he wants to keep from getting killed. He says something like, “whatever you want” and Inigo responds with, “I want my father back you (blank, blank, blank)”.

26. I made my four-year-old and two-year-old watch it recently. It’s probably not age-appropriate, but I was getting tired of the other movies they’ve been watching (we have newborn twins. There are a lot of movies happening. It was a joy to re-watch it.

“Those are the Shrieking Eels. They always grow louder when they’re about to feed on human flesh”.

“I am only waiting around to kill you.

That does put a damper on our relationship.”

27. Ecce Quam Bomun says:

“Humperdinck. Humperdinck! HUMPERDINCK!”

After dear hubby spent 5 looong minutes grousing about an inconsiderate driver, this came– softly at first but growing much louder– from the 4-year-old in the back seat as we headed down the highway.

We were laughing so hard it was all dear hubby could do to keep the car on the road.